Christmas Tree Permits on Sale
San Juan National Forest Christmas tree permits on sale
DURANGO – Christmas tree permits, which allow you to cut your own holiday tree, are now on sale for $8 at San Juan National Forest offices and selected retail outlets in southwestern Colorado. A permit allows the bearer to cut one tree up to 20 feet tall for personal use until December 31, 2017. Permits come with a brochure with safety tips, information on which species of tree to harvest, and the best places to find trees. The Forest Service is also offering one free permit to fourth-grade students who hold a valid Every Kid in a Park pass or paper voucher downloaded from: www.EveryKidinaPark.gov. The free permit is good only at agency offices, and the participating fourth grader must be present. In addition, the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Christmas Tree Train will run on weekends from November 25th through December 10th.
Go to: http://www.durangotrain.com/events/christmas-tree-train to find out how you can ride the train into the National Forest to cut your own Christmas tree, with help from the U.S. Forest Service, San Juan Mountains Association and FireWise of Southwest Colorado.
San Juan National Forest permits are now on sale at:
- Columbine Ranger District, 367 Pearl Street (8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Mon.-Fri.)
- Dolores Ranger District, 29211 Colorado Highway 184 (8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Mon.-Fri.)
- Dolores Food Market – 400 Railroad Avenue
- San Juan Public Lands Center, 15 Burnett Court (8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Mon.-Fri.)
- Kroeger’s Ace Hardware, #8 Town Plaza
- Cox Corner Store, 18794 Hwy 491
- Cox Conoco, 201 E. Railroad Avenue
- PAGOSA SPRINGS:
- Pagosa Ranger District, 180 Pagosa Street (8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Mon.-Fri.; sometimes closed for lunch 12 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.)
National Forest roads are not plowed for snow removal, and icy or snow-packed conditions may exist. For information on road conditions, go to: http://www.fs.usda.gov/sanjuan or call the National Forest office closest to your destination. Bureau of Management Christmas tree permits are sold separately.