Pagosa’s Winter Spectacular Spectator Event
The Annual Pagosa Paw Sled Dog Races
Winter Dog Sports Event
The Pagosa Paw Sled dog Race is scheduled for Feb. 18th & 19th starting at 8:30am sharp at the Toner’s Ranch. The Toner’s ranch is located next to the Sportsman’s 17miles up Piedra Road. Please share and tell your friends. Don’t miss out on this awesome, unique event.
ISDRA Sanctioned 4 and 6 dog Sprint, 4 and 6 dog Purebred Sprint, 2-Dog and 1-Dog Skijor, 3-Dog Junior Class, Non-Sanctioned Sportsman Sled and Skijor Classes.
Location:The Toner Ranch in Pagosa Springs is located 15.5 miles north on Piedra Road from US Hwy 160. After crossing the Piedra River Bridge, turn right on Taylor Lane. Go 1.7 miles to the race site on the left, there will be a corral and cattle chutes on the right. PLEASE allow enough time to reach this venue. The 17 miles is up a dirt road, so allow a good hour from town. Once you reach the race location Taylor Lane loops back into Piedra road allowing easy access for larger vehicles and trailers.
Starting Order: 6-dog Sprint class starting at 8:30 AM Saturday & Sunday followed by 2-Dog Skijor, 4-Dog Sprint class, 1-Dog Skijor, 3-Dog Junior, Non-Sanctioned Sportsman sled, Sportsman Skijor each day. All starts at 1-minute interval .Sportsman races will have a 2-minute interval.
Drivers Meeting: 8:00 AM at Race Site
● Please, no phone entries – Entries close at noon Wednesday January 20st. Entries received after this time will be placed at the end of the start order as they are received. Absolutely no entries will be accepted later than one half hour before the Saturday morning drivers meeting.
● Drivers meeting and packet pick-up at the race site at 7:30AM. Driver’s meeting is at 8:00AM.
● Dog marking of all Sanctioned Classes will be at the finish line of each class on Saturday.
● Purebred numbers (American Kennel Club or Canadian Kennel Club) must be submitted with the entry form. Entries with out documentation will be drawn in the mixed breed class.
● 1-Dog Skijor will be run on the 4-mile trail and the 2-Dog Skijor will be run on the 6-mile trail. 3-Dog Junior will run on the 4-mile trail. 2-Dog non-sanctioned Skijor will be run on 4 mile trail directly after the 3-Dog Junior sled. Sportsman sled will run a 1-mile trail following the 2-Dog Skiijor. 1-Dog Skijor will run the 1-mile trail following the Sportsman sled.
A sled dog race from Pagosa’s history is shown below.
The Pagosa Nordic Club hosted great sled dog and skijoring races Saturday and Sunday. The mushers were pleased with the groomed track and the beauty of the West Fork trail.
The mushers will not be photographed without their dogs!
The true athletes!
Racers declared the Pagosa track to be the best and fastest track of the season.