Photos thanks to Anna O’Rielly and Susan Joy.
The Community Garden is located in the west end of Centennial Park. We receive a lot of visitors pearing across the fence or making themselves at home using the river frontage and the simple chairs and comforts provided. We ofter find people doing yoga, in meditation and just being at peace. It is a little oasis in the bustling town. We welcome all visitors.
This week a very special event happened when a doe felt comfortable enough with the surroundings and vibs that she delivered a fawn in one of the soft beds.
Ralph (Plumber) Davis sent a photograph from the late 1940’s showing a well known citizen and a beloved pet of Pagosa Springs. Plumber relates the deer was raised by Leon Montroy and was a regular visitor to downtown Pagosa Springs. Known as “Jerry” she frequently visited the school snacking on the grass and chasing dogs away. Just before hunting season began each year Jerry showed up wearing a bright red ribbon around her neck.
In the photo Ed Spielman befriends Jerry standing at the 160 and Sixth Street intersection. The snow covered hill in the background was later flattened and the Citizens Bank and City Market complex built. At the time, this area contained a coal bin and shoot where Pagosa citizens purchased coal.
This store, half way up Put Hill is now a pet shop!